Norman Sanborn, Fire Chief
37 Wakefield Street
Rochester, NH 03867
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, May 24, 2017
Contact: John Guilfoil
Rochester Fire Department Extinguishes Two-Alarm Fire at Hi-Vu Motor Inn
ROCHESTER — Chief Norman Sanborn reports that the Rochester Fire Department extinguished a two-alarm fire at the Hi-Vu Motor Inn yesterday.
At approximately 4:07 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to the Hi-Vu Motor Inn, 157 Rochester Hill Road, for a report of a structure fire.
Upon arrival, crews were met with heavy flames coming from the two-story, motel-style building, which has eight units. A second alarm was struck, and crews from Dover, Milton, Durham, Farmington and Barrington arrived to provide mutual aid. American Ambulance also responded to the scene. Firefighters from Farmington, Somersworth, Berwick, Milton and Rollinsford provided coverage for both Rochester stations.
Firefighters made an aggressive attack from outside the building and the fire was put out at approximately 6 p.m. No injuries were reported.
The building was a total loss and all ten residents were displaced as a result of the fire. 1-800-BOARDUP and the Red Cross worked with residents to find them a place to stay for the night.
After an initial investigation, firefighters determined that the fire originated in a unit on the first floor as a result of unattended cooking. The cause of the fire appears to be accidental.
“I commend firefighters for their aggressive attack in putting this fire out and am thankful that no one was injured,” Chief Sanborn said. “Please, make sure to never leave anything cooking on the stove or in the oven unattended.”