Chief Mark Klose is pleased to announce that the Rochester Fire Department now offers online burn permitting.
Seasonal burn permits may now be obtained online via www.nhfirepermit.com for a $3 fee. The online burn permits are for seasonal burning only, and residents will still be required to come to either of the fire stations for permits to burn brush piles.
Online permits are available for $3, which goes to a third party vendor that offers the online system throughout New Hampshire. Permits obtained from either Rochester fire station are free.
“We hope this will be a convenient and practical options for residents who would like to obtain their burn permits without having to go somewhere to get one,” Chief Klose said.
Those interested in obtaining a burn permit should be aware of the following rules and regulations:
- In order to obtain a permit, you must be the landowner or have written landowner approval
- Brush and wood will not exceed 5 inches in diameter. NO household waste, treated wood or composite materials may be burned
- A Category 1 fire will be at least 25’ away from structures and category 2 or greater will be at least 50’ from structures
- Category 1 fires may be kindled with a permit at any time, whether it is raining or not.
- Category 2 & 3 fires may only be kindled with a permit between the hours of 5 p.m. to 9 a.m. unless it is actually raining
- The fire will be extinguished and will need to wait until 5 p.m. to re-kindle
- The NH Department of Environmental Services has regulations that must be followed regarding the testing and abatement of asbestos prior to demolition. I understand that only clean, untreated and non-contaminated wood may be burned
- Permitee will have sufficient water, tools and personnel necessary to control and completely extinguish the fire. A buried fire is not an extinguished fire.
- Permittee understands that using tires or tubes to start a fire would be a serious violation of NH Department of Environmental Services Air Resources division rules regulations.
- Permittee must also be at least 18 years old